On March 15, 2020, both our state and city closed due to the COVID-19 crisis. Many businesses were shuttered, and sadly, thousands of New Yorkers found themselves unemployed or furloughed, many of whom were our clients. Those clients had been seriously injured before this health crisis and were relying upon our team to help them seek justice. Though our firm had to work remotely, Leav & Steinberg LLP is still committed to our 21-year tradition of providing high-quality lawyering and customer service to every client. Listed below are just a few of the matters that we have resolved during the COVID-19 crisis as of April 29, 2020.
– $812,000.00 settlement at a virtual court conference and virtual mediation for a 65-year-old retired Department of Education aide. The client slipped and fell on water from a hole in the lobby of her building that was caused by a plumbing leak. The building owner and a contractor were aware of the condition before the accident. The client did not report the accident but did seek emergency treatment the next day for neck pain and eventually underwent cervical spinal surgery. The defense argued her cervical problems were pre-existing as she had received treatment for her neck and lower back before this. Further, unrelated to the accident, the client had diabetes, suffered renal failure, and was on dialysis.
– $225,000.00 settlement at virtual mediation for a plaintiff who was lawfully operating her motor vehicle when she was rear-ended by a truck. The driver argued that the plaintiff’s vehicle wasn’t visible. As a result, our firm motioned for and won summary judgment. The client sustained a knee injury and underwent arthroscopic surgery, but no ligament tear was found. However, we were able to show the films and reports to an expert radiologist who opined that other injuries were sustained.
– $225,000.00 settlement via virtual mediation for a woman who was injured when a plastic file tray fell onto her, causing a shoulder injury. She underwent arthroscopic surgery and made an adequate recovery.
– $100,000.00 settlement at a virtual mediation for a woman who was entering a restaurant located in the Bronx when she slipped and fell on water leaking from some flower pots adjacent to the staircase. She fell down the stairs and sustained injuries to her neck and back. She had physical therapy and follow-up care but no lost wages and didn’t undergo invasive injections or surgery.
– $115,000.00 settlement with the New York City Transit Authority. The plaintiff was a passenger on a crowded bus that collided with a vehicle attempting to go around the bus and make a right turn. The client sustained a fractured ankle, as well as connective tissue injuries to her shoulder and spine. The client had several prior accidents, and—even though the police assigned most of the fault to the car going around the bus—we were able to show that the bus driver contributed to the accident, allowing us to obtain a recovery from both the NYCTA and the car.
– $75,000.00 for a woman who had been walking home at night and slipped on the ice next to a snowbank. We showed that the responsible owner and tenant had not removed or cleared the area safely. The client had a fracture to her non-dominant wrist and only had a few physical therapy visits with no surgery.
– $60,000.00 out of a $100,000.00 insurance policy for a young Staten Island mom who was rear-ended by another vehicle. There was no obvious or visible damage to the car, but the client began having severe neck pain and required treatment and trigger point injections. The insurance company had denied that the injuries were serious for over three years, and we were still able to position the case to show that it was serious. We would have been happy to present the case to a jury if needed.
– $250,000.00 via direct phone and virtual contact with the bus company’s counsel for an infant who was struck by a school bus as she was crossing the street. The bus driver claimed that the infant was running out into the street and was not inside the designated crosswalk. We proved otherwise by obtaining photographs at the scene and testimony from parties and others to corroborate our claim. The client had foot injuries with scarring on the top of her foot.
– $25,000.00 settlement, which was the full policy limit for a young woman who was struck by a car while crossing the street, causing her left leg to become caught between the fender and tire of the car.
– $65,000.00 for a client who was injured when a ceiling collapsed. He had serious prior neck and back injuries, and he claimed that this aggravated the prior injuries. There was minimal treatment after this accident.
– $76,500.00 settlement with the City of New York for an infant who fell off of monkey bars during recess. We were able to prove that the teacher and aides were not properly or adequately supervising the children and allowed students to begin horse-playing and pushing kids.
– $75,000.00 settlement for a young girl who walked onto a baseball field and was struck as a player was swinging a bat. The baseball league had claimed this was a sudden and spontaneous act that they could not anticipate. However, our team of lawyers was able to show that the accident was foreseeable and preventable by arguing that the coaches were in the dugout and had ignored the rules prohibiting swinging bats and that the gate to restrict access was not properly closed.
– $110,000 settlement via virtual mediation for a man who fell on debris on the stairs of his building. No one had noticed the condition before, and the landlord had claimed he had properly cleaned the area earlier. The client had a torn triceps tendon, which required surgery.
While many law firms focus on handling matters at trial or only resolving cases in a claim, the attorneys at Leav & Steinberg have built a solid foundation of handling a wide variety of claims and positioning cases in a way that allows justice to be served. We have two decades of experience helping our clients secure compensation, even during this crisis. If you want serious, results-driven professionals on your side, contact us today to receive a free consultation.